Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Stories to Tell

When I first blogged the Cody Foster fiasco I received stories directly from artists who had similar experiences.


Pictured above left and below center are beds made by Shawn Lovell, one of the artists with a story to tell. Pictured above right is a bed from the Anthropologie catalog. 

Your blog was forwarded to me by a friend with a link to your "Drawing the line on theft" thread. I was approached by Anthropologie back in 2008 regarding my Tree Bed which I designed and began making in 1997 and have been perfecting ever since. Anthropologie asked if they could use one of my beds for a “photoshoot”, but I didn’t have one in stock to lend as they are one-of-a-kind and take about 200 hours to make, and are made on commission. Without any acknowledgment or permission they are now clearly selling a simplified knock-off version of the bed. I've attached a shot of the bed being sold by them as shown in their latest catalog and a shot of my original bed. Fortunately for me the Treebed is a difficult design to mass-manufacture and this is the closest they could come to reproducing it. (Notice, they even shot the bed in the exact same angle as my shot!)

No comments: